We have put together some energy efficiency tips so you can get the best out of your kitchen fridges and freezers and save on energy.
Kitchen fridges and freezers top tips
- When designing a new kitchen put your fridge as far away from your cooker as possible and away from direct sunlight.
- Don’t have the fridge hard up against the wall try and allow for at least a 10cm gap.
- Maintaining decent temperatures for your kitchen fridge and freezers this helps keep energy bills down. Try keeping your fridge at between 3 and 5°C and your freezer at -18 °C.
- Always wait for food to cool before putting it in the fridge as hot food takes more energy to cool than cold food.
- Try and keep your kitchen fridges and freezers as full as possible this stops them from working harder saving on energy and bills.
- If your fridge and freezer are older make sure the door seals are kept maintained and cleaned as these are normally the first to wear down.
- If your older fridge doesn’t defrost automatically, what will stop them from working effective is a build up of ice keep on top of this as it is easily remedied by manually defrosting.
Kitchen fridges and freezers- when to re-new
If your fridge or freezer is more than 10 years old it might be worthwhile looking at a replacement as the money saved on new appliances defrost mechanisms or high efficiency compressors will normally mean that the initial outlay will be offset by the reduced running costs.
If you have made the decision to renew, kitchen fridges and freezers are rated according to their energy efficiency,from A being best to G being worst for energy use. But, with fridges and freezers, this isn’t the only consideration when designing a new kitchen make sure to buy the smallest fridge and/or freezer you can that suits your needs, typically a smaller appliance will cost you less to run. Something else to bear in mind is that a fridge and freezer combination is far more efficient than a stand alone fridge and freezer
For more information and to view our range of energy efficient kitchen fridges and freezers get in touch today!